15 May 2013

A short tale

Rachel and John are good friends, and they are co-workers at the same company. These two people are smart and thorough workers, but they have a huge problem, they are quite absent-minded.  If they are deeply inmersed into their thoughts, they can not realize what is happenig around them.

This tale happened while Rachel and John were travelling by taxi towards a business meeting.

Rachel: Did you get the latest dossier? It was on your desktop.

John:  Yes. I'm forgetful, but not so much.

Rachel: Ok. I only want to be sure that we have all the documents for the meeting.  Do you know what time is it?

John: One moment, I'm going to check my new phone.  It's ten to ten. By the way, Rachel, have you seen my new phone? I called you yesterday so that you would have my new phone number.  I have not had time to put your number in my contacts list.

Rachel: No, I had not seen it yet.  It's so pretty...

John: But, what is this?. I have a missed call. I don't know which phone number is this.  I'm going to make a call...

Rachel: Ok. Oh! What a coincidence! I'm getting a call...

John: (Talking on the phone)  Hello. I'm John.  I think you have called me.  Who are you?...

Rachel: (Talking on the phone)  Sorry, but I don't know what you are talking about... You aren't in my list of contacts. Who are you?...

John: (Talking on the phone) ...Sorry, I'm going to introduce me.  I'm John. And you?

Rachel: (Talking on the phone) ... So, I'm Rachel, but I don't know any John with this phone number...

John: (Talking on the phone) ... Umm, I don't know any Rachel with this phone number either, but your voice is quite familiar for me...

Rachel: (Talking on the phone).  For me, too.  I'm sure I know your voice... maybe... 

John: (Talking on the phone) Yes... maybe... you could be...

As the storyteller of this tale I must say that the taxi driver had noticed what was happening, and he was laughing loudly then. Because of these loudly laughings Rachel and John could realize what had been happening. There were no words to explain the faces of these two friends when they looked at each other, with their phones against their ears, and their faces red like a tomato.


By Miguel Angel Varona.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Video: A Brave New World