15 Apr 2015

SOME USEFUL EXPRESSIONS



MEETING PEOPLE
Can I see Mr…?
Will you call Mr…?
Wait a moment.
Could you wait a moment, please?
How do you do?
Nice to meet you!
Pleased to meet you!  We’ve talked on the phone so many times.
Good to meet you!
I’m delighted to meet you.
It’s very good to meet you.
Which part of France are you from?
And what about the people?
How long are you going to be here?
Is this your first visit to Zaragoza?
Have you ever been to Zaragoza before?
How was the flight?
Where are you staying?
Are you planning to stay here long?
Are you planning to go sightseeing?
 
MEETINGS / CONFERENCES  / SPEECHES
Take a seat, please.
Would you like to take a seat, please?

Figures, percentages, years, time, schedules…
In English it is important to remember:
-  Thousands take a comma (,)   3,897    2,600
-  Decimals take a dot (.) on the left.  0.75   point seventy-five    5.80  five point eighty.
The profit was three million last year.
The interest rate was three point eight.
The repair service is fifty-five pounds and forty pence.
The percentage is point five.
OFFERING
May I take your coat?
May I help you?
May I offer you something?
May I offer you something to drink?
How about a cup of tea while you wait?
Would you like a cup of coffee?
Can I get you something?
What would you like to have?
How about a cup of coffee?

MAKING REQUESTS
I’d be grateful…
I would appreciate it if you could…
I’d like to request …
I’d like to know…
I’d like you to attend a meeting in Brussels next Monday.  Is that all right with you?
Could you check your diary?  Are you free on Thursday next week?
Could you fax me the information about the …?
Would it be possible to…?
Could you tell me if…?
I’d like to cancel the Purchase Order I signed this morning.  Would that be possible?
I’d like you to join Mr… for a meeting.  Would it be possible?
We would be gad if you could inform us about…
I’m interested in finding out more details about…
Please send me a catalogue and a price list and state what discount you allow for large orders.
Contact me as soon as possible after you receive…
Take a look at the … and tell us what you think.
Let us know if you can…
Please inform the Sales Department that…
Please check your…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Video: A Brave New World