19 May 2015

Intermediate and Advanced Exam

INTERMEDIATE LEVEL


Task 1

An English penfriend is going to spend her holidays in your hometown this summer. She asked you for advice in her last letter. Write to her and include advice concerning such things as timetables, sightseeing recommendations and any information that you think may be useful for her stay. (110-120 words)

Dear Susan,

I'm very glad because of your stay in my hometown this summer. As you know, the town is located at the montains. It's a wonderful place if you like walking in nature. I would like to advice you, first of all, the temperature tends to plummet at night, therefore you need to take some cold clothing and don't forget to bring your swimming things as there's also a lovely pool here.

There is an information centre where they can explain you the main cultural places here and in the surroundings. In the afternoon I could go along with you to do some excursion. However, in the morning, I have to look after my nephews because my sister and brother-in-law have to work in another city at an hour from here.
In August, we celebrate the town fair; there are performances as live concerts, exhibitions and much more things. I'm sure you will enjoy and we will have a great time.

I look forward to hearing from you.
See you soon,

Carlos


Task 2

to write about someone who has affected your own life positively in some way. (140-160 words)

I'd like to write about a person whose life has been a reference for me not only when I was a child but also nowadays.
His name is Richard. He lived and worked close to my parents' house. Every day, after finishing school, I used to go into his little sweet shop. I spent a lot of time with him listening to some of his experiences because he had travelled all around the world. Sometimes, he drew anything in a old notebook while he was talking to me. 

In spite of his wisdom, he never gave me  any advice,  he only explained to me about people who met in every place and he always looked at me with a sincere smile. 
 
Most of the afternoons, when my parents arrived home and they didn't see me there, they just knew where I was and came to Richard's shop. They also liked greeting and talking to him. 
 
Five years ago, he had to close the shop because he got sick. Since then  I usually go every Friday to his home to see him and to pay him a visit. 
 
Finally, I wanted to express my gratitude to Richard and to the people who have taught me to really love life.


 

AVANCED LEVEL

TASK 1

Write a letter to the former students of your class inviting them to return to your school for a special ocassion. (140-150 words)

Dear classmates,

I want to invite you at the 25th anniversary of our school graduation. Last week, I was talking to some of you and together we agreed to prepare a party for this special ocassion.

First of all we have considered as the best date next Saturday, 10th June, at seven o'clock. The meeting place will be the school gym. If you want, we can go with our family because there will be activities for children like sports and  handicrafts.
Then, at about eight o'clock, we'll go to the assembly hall where the theatre group will play a little performance reminding some funny anecdotes. After that, we'll have the oportunity to explain our personal experiences.

Finally, we'll have dinner at Marc Restaurant whose owner is a former student actually younger than us. Therefore it's very important to book more or less a week before the date.

Let me know as soon as possible what you think. For every comment or any doubt you can reply this letter or just call me.

I'll write again soon to give you more information.

Best wishes,
Carlos


TASK 2 

You have noticed that the standard of the city services has declined steadily over the last five
years. Your main concerns are public transportation and public safety among others such as
waste management. Write a letter to the Mayor reporting the problems you have experienced
with these services so far and suggesting measures to improve them.


Dear Major,

I want to express with this letter my point of view about the real situation we are living in our hometown.
First of all, during the last five years, we are suffering an increase of population but, on the opposite side, there is a decrease in public transport and every time more buses come on delay. Ticket prices are growing every year but not the service quality: some of them are very old and they should be changed for new vehicles.

Secondly, I would like to talk about the last incidents after finishing that football match. As you know, not only this Sunday but some other weekends as well,  the situation has been repeated and the measures have not been enough to settle a public safety around the soccer field.

Thirdly, I have to mention the garbage collection service. This year the staff has been on strike in three occasions. They are on their own right; however the minimum services have not worked properly those days and the smell in the streets has been unbearable. In addition to this problem most of the streets do not provide separate containers for glass, paper and plastic bottles. Therefore we cannot do a proper waste management.

Finally, I would like to suggest that you talk to your close neighbourhood associations as soon as possible to listen to the people and to undertake the better actions.

Your faithfully,

Carlos



Test 1 Writing (First Certificate 2008)


Your English class has done a project on transport. Your teacher has now asked you to write an essay giving your opinions on the following statement.


There is no future for public transport because travelling by car is so much more convenient.

Write your essay. (120-180 words)


For the last ten years, in our hometown everyone has seen the changes in the streets because of the tram.
In this essay, I will discuss some arguments for and against travelling by car or by public transport.

Although a lot of people complained when their  bus-stop was moved to other place because of the tram restructuring, nowadays I can see a lot of people using public transport to get around.

I think this is the best option to travel around the city centre. You can take both bus and tram all the day long. In this way there is less pollution and also you will not have any problem to park the car.

On the other hand, my opinion is not so clear if you carry out a trip on holidays. The car can give you the chance to go to places with more freedom: if you have seen an interesting place that you want to know, you can do it without depending on anyone. Besides, you can take clothes and everything you want to fill the boot.

However, if you have to travel far for a short time, maybe three or four days, I think the high-speed train is the fastest option and more convenient than travelling by car, mainly if you travel alone.

Finally, I do not agree with the idea there is no future for public transport. In many circumstances or moments it is much better than taking the car. Therefore, each time there will be more and more people who decide to go and travel by public transport.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Video: A Brave New World